Let me make an effort to round up a few things that have been on my mind lately…
- I’m halfway (or there abouts) with Tale of Genji and I’m still enthusiastic. I haven’t liked all chapters as much but I will say that the writing is even. I’m so glad I finally got around to reading it and hopefully I won’t hurt my hand again (it’s happened twice, which is a danger when reading big books.)
- Speaking of reading goals; @oosterbook wrote this piece about not having a reading goal anymore. I agree with the viewpoint that quantitative goals can be counterproductive but I’m totally in favor of reading goals like “reading more diverse” or “a book from every country” because that can make you a better reader.
- And on the subject of better, let’s talk about worse; the pump on the Tata Harper serum malfunctioned for lack of a better word. Or it wasn’t very good to begin with maybe. Anyhow I couldn’t get the last 25% out of the bottle with the pump and had to open it and do some strange moves with a cotton bud to use it all up. Another point is deducted from that serum. Seriously.
- Someone did remind me of the company Lush for the that are interested in sustainable and vegan skincare. Their products don’t work for me and a I get a headache just walking into the stores they have. But it’s an option for others.
- Also headache related; Brandvakten by Sven Olov Karlsson. I so wanted to like this book but I would have wanted either a play-by-play of all the political decisions (or lack thereof) or some really in-depth viewpoints. This is a little of both and thus completely unsatisfying for me. But I know others have very much enjoyed it. And the topic is relevant, especially put into the larger context of climate change.
- There is an Augustpod i.e. a podcast about the Auguestprize and the books nominated; new episodes are coming every week, find it where you find podcasts (NB; it’s in Swedish). I’m gonna try to tune in but right now I’m more into actually reading the nominees, especially in non-fiction.
- I did some editing amongst my photos, and I sure have a lot of pictures of my cat.
She is cute though so totally understandable. Anyone with a cat this cute would max out the memory card on their phone.